Day Seventeen: Inventory of Strengths
Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. —Abraham Lincoln
How many ways do you think there are to describe strength? Have you ever applied any of them to you?
The VIA Inventory of Strengths is a psychological assessment measure designed to identify an individual’s profile of character strengths. The categories below describe all areas of strength.
- Wisdom and Knowledge: creativity, curiosity, judgment, love of learning, perspective
- Courage: bravery, perseverance, honesty, zest
- Humanity: love, kindness, social intelligence
- Justice: teamwork, fairness, leadership
- Temperance: forgiveness, humility, prudence, self-regulation
- Transcendence: appreciation of beauty and excellence, gratitude, hope, humor, spirituality
For today, your goal is to put your name at the top of a piece of paper. Then, going through the above list as quickly as you can, write down the strengths at which you excel. If you can think of others strengths not listed here, add them too!
Bonus: On a blank piece of paper, draw a tower of blocks. The tower is you and each individual block is a strength. Fill out the blocks and notice just how tall it stands. Wow. We bet that feels good! As usual, post your picture where you’ll see it when you start to forget how fabulous you are!